Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Veco Tom-Tom

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 11:05 AM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I guess I hijacked another web. The Veco Tom Tom got a partial kit mostly wing ribs and some fuselage tail parts. It’s laser cut, I like that and the curator left out four ribs I was able to replace the missing ribs. Have not received them yet but they are in the process thru the USPS. It’s the Old Veco version of the Tom Tom and I was able to get some original parts and a few landing gear parts the metal clips and the Nobler gear was a shoe in perfect. Got several parts 1/8th square in 36 inch and 1/8th by one inch front spar, all that was special order in spruce. For the wing assembly. Using a 3 inch Bel crank Veco. The kit offered a mount but It’s just not to my liking so a thicker bell crank mount will be replacing the kit one and also the trailing edge of the wing. Which will make the wing much stronger but a little heavier per design! AJ
Old 04-22-2024, 01:14 PM
AJ Sun

Well all my back ordered parts arrived today. Got to take a few days to measure and decide how I am going to finish up this wing. Reviewing all the assembly instructions. Now that I have all the fuselage parts pre assembled I need to mount the landing gear. Got the original Veco gear clips the original package sold three clips for $.15 cents back in the 50s
. I paid $11.50 for the set which included shipping. Still cheaper than going to town AJ
Old 04-24-2024, 07:03 AM
AJ Sun

Wednesday and the wing assembled well, broke two leading edge ribs installing the 1/8 x1 inch forward spar. The rear trailing edge fit really well. Only way to glue this assembly is to thin the Sig glue and lay it in the crack. Of each assembly point by laying the wing vertical applying the thinned cement and letting it set over nite flip the wing over and do the same application to the other side. It’s spruce and Balsa so it should wick I hope. Also assembled the forward fuselage assembly. Landing gear and fire wall, engine rails. Thirty minute Epoxy and clamped.AJ
Old 04-26-2024, 02:02 PM
AJ Sun

Managed to remove the Tom Tom of the building board looks nice and straight, now to finish all the wicking, my thinned Sig bond is doing really well, better than I expected. Cut the wing to fuselage attach plates. That's a trick bonding at the training edge over nite dry then applying all four pieces. Top and bottom. That take time then using ammonia water go bend the four pieces to the leading edge. After costing the balsa. Having to mod the bell crank mount to include that center section from the trailing edge to the front source spar.AJ
Old 04-29-2024, 11:01 AM
AJ Sun

Today I installed the belcrank wood mount. It's thicker and is inserted from the trailing edge to the rear 1/8th square bottom spar to the 1/8th by 1 inch forward spar. With a 1/4 inch square reinforcement, off that forward 1/8 th spar. Should be strong enough. I also installed all the fuselage formers. A little progress is going well.AJ
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
AJ Sun

Bell crank and lead outs are installed, lots of sanding and a little fill. On the wing then do a fitting on the fuselage. And install the elevator push rod assembly. All this prior to fuselage covering. Starting to weight and balance prep.AJ